Are you an Amazon Prime member? Are you shopping on Prime Day? Did you know you can help a local food assistance organization EVERY time you shop on Amazon even if you’re NOT a Prime member? BUT – if you’re shopping for Prime Day – you might want to consider signing up for Amazon Smile first.
According to their website FAQs, “AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support.”
To shop at AmazonSmile simply go to smile.amazon.com from the web browser on your computer or mobile device. You may also want to add a bookmark to smile.amazon.com to make it even easier to return and start your shopping at AmazonSmile.
We do this EVERY time we shop on Amazon and will be doing it when we shop on Prime Day. Not that we buy TONS of stuff on Amazon but every little bit helps, right? Below are the steps by step instructions:
1. The first time you go to smile.amazon.com the following screen is displayed:
2. If you have never shopped at Amazon, click on the Create an Account link and complete that signup. Otherwise, sign in to your Amazon account and you will see the following screen.
3. Scroll down to the field called “pick your own charitable organization.” Type in the name of your charity and click the Search button. In our example, we selected Out of the Garden Project, a large food pantry in Greensboro. When you find your selected charity, click the Select button.
4. The final screen to be displayed confirms that you understand that you must go to the Amazon Smile website in order for your charity to benefit.
5. Click the checkbox and then click Start Shopping.
And that’s all there is to it, now Out of the Garden Project (or the food assistance organization YOU choose) will receive .05% of each of your purchases. It’s a super easy “set-it-and-forget-it” way to help your local food pantry or assistance organization.