The Healthier Food Trend
Our semi-manual process of data collection means that we look at each and every grocery special published by Lowes Foods, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and ALDI. This, in turn, gives us a unique view into the ways in which the major grocers in the NC Triad move in tandem when promoting certain types of products. The current trend? Organic, All Natural, and Gluten Free – generally perceived by the public to be healthier food. Here are some recent healthier-food activities the grocery chains have undertaken.
Grocery Chain Efforts
- Lowes Foods advertises it offers over 3,000 Gluten Free items and this week devoted a 3/4 page section of their sales flyer to 25 gluten free items currently on sale.
- In 2016, ALDI announced that it would be stepping up its game in the organic and gluten free food space. To that end, it removed certified synthetic colors, partially hydrogenated oils, and any added MSG from all its private-label products. The chain also expanded its SimplyNature line, which is free from 125 artificial ingredients, and its gluten-free liveGfree brand.
- Food Lion recently launched a new store brand, Nature’s Place, dedicated to food that is 100% free of artificial colors, flavors, additives, or preservatives with a “double your money back” guarantee.
- In this week’s sales flyer, Food Lion, has a special insert devoted to the Nature’s Place store brand with 28 items on sale this week.
- Harris Teeter has a regular section of their sales flyer set aside for organic products with many Harris Teeter Organics brand items on sale this week.
- Lowes Foods, this week, curated a set of healthier products in their sales flyer under the heading “Eat Well & Feel Well.” They grouped healthier drinks under the heading “Drink Smart, Live Well.”
- Lowes Foods now carries the Simple Truth brand of organic and all natural grocery products and has more than 15 of those products on sale this week. Interestingly enough, the brand seems to be owned by Kroger (check the footer on the Simple Truth website).